Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pick 'Em Corner - The Professor's Week 3 Smart Money Picks




Status quo  (kwəʊ) — n:  the existing state of affairs. For The Professor, status quo just means making money for The Professor's Pupils week in and week out. So sit up straight, sharpen your pencils and enjoy the lecture, for these are The Professor's Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.

NEBRASKA -24.5 Arkansas State
The Huskers will be angry after laying an egg against UCLA last week, so the win here isn’t in doubt. Covering, however, is. Arkansas State scores just enough points to stay within the number.

OHIO STATE -16.5 Cal
Urban Meyer > Jeff Tedford. Braxton Miller > Whoever Cal cobbled together for QB. Buckeyes > Bears.

MINNESOTA -2.5 Western Michigan
This game scares the bejesus out of this avowed Gopher fan. But as a member of the faculty, I’m fully in support of what Jer-Jer is doing with the Gophers. Western Michigan has a fast-paced offense, yes, but Minnesota will kill a lot of clock with an efficient running game, keeping the Broncos off the field just enough. Expect a close one. You scoffed when I called for a Gopher rout last week. Methinks you won’t scoff again.

ILLINOIS -35 Charleston Southern
Yawn.

PURDUE -24 Eastern Michigan
Zzzzzzzz.

Boston College -3.5 NORTHWESTERN
I have no feel for this game, but I underestimated the Cats against a mediocre SEC team in Vandy. I won’t do the same against a mediocre ACC team in Boston College.

MICHIGAN -45.5 UMass
UMass is bad. Really bad.

PENN STATE -5.5 Navy
I’m riding the Penn State Misery Tour Train as long as it will take me, giving new meaning to Navy fight song Anchors Aweigh.

IOWA -14.5 Northern Iowa
Northern Iowa kept it interesting against the BADgers, a superior team to the Hawkeyes, so the smart money is that they’ll do the same here. Plus, you actually have to score touchdowns to win by 14.5 or more. In fact, the schadenfreude is flowing so strong for The Professor that I’m locking this in. DO YOU HEAR THAT SOUND? EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! It's The Professor's Statistically-Proven Lock of the Week, brought to you by National American University!

MICHIGAN STATE -6 Notre Dame
Sparty is in the Golden Domers’ heads after last season’s thrilling game. Also, Michigan State is a huge jump in competition for ND after facing Navy and Purdue. Meanwhile, MSU is battle-tested after opening the year vs. Boise State.

INDIANA -2.5 Ball State
Coming into the season, Indiana could not afford to lose QB Tre Robinson, and in true IU Football fashion, that’s exactly what they did. Take the Fighting Dave Lettermans.

WISCONSIN -13 Utah State
It’s the Professor’s Schadenfreude Game of the Week, presented by Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit. Suck it, Bucky.

TENNESSEE -3 Florida
I’m basically just picking which team I hate less. Plus, Rocky Top sure is catchy.

Northern Illinois -3 ARMY
Don’t follow The Professor on this pick. I’m contractually obligated to go with the Black Knights here, but the Huskies are not a bad MAC team while Army is, well, Army.

Alabama -20.5 ARKANSAS
Gimpy quarterback + porous defense + John L. Smith = Crimson Tide in a laugher. ROLL! TIDE! TURKEY!

USC -8.5 STANFORD
The Trojans are on a mission this season and they’re not going to let a bunch of nerds from Northern California feel good about themselves for the fifth time in the last six meetings.

MISSOURI -6.5 Arizona State
I liked what I saw from the Sun Devils in their win over Illinois. I didn’t see any of the Mizzou game. And that’s why I’m taking Arizona State.

UCLA -17 Houston
I had my doubts about UCLA when they were struggling early against Rice two weeks ago. But they pulled away in that one and erased any doubts in the convincing upset win over Nebraska last week. Expect Houston to put up a fight here, but the Bruins are on a roll.

BYU -4 UTAH
1) I hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir puts on quite the show. 2) Mitt Romney is inexplicably expected to put up a fight in the election. 3) Finally, I guess Utah lost their QB or something. I dunno. Go with the Mormons.

LOUISVILLE -3 North Carolina
It’s The Does Anybody Outside the Locales of the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Game, brought to you by RO*TEL! [Analysis not provided]

Thus concludes The Professor's Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.



2012 Pick 'Em Corner Standings (locks in parentheses)
1. Steve Stellar – 28-12 (2-0) – 32 pts
2. The Professor – 25-15 (1-1) – 27 pts
2. The Host – 25-15 (1-1) – 27 pts
4. Jeff Leach – 24-15 (1-0) – 26 pts
5. KCKCK – 22-18 (1-1) – 24 pts
6. Lockrem’s Locks – 21-18 (1-1) - 23 pts
7. C-Noth – 19-21 (1-1) – 21 pts
7. The Cornerman – 19-21 (1-1) – 21 pts
9. Money Traen – 18-21 (1-1) – 20 pts
10. Wick to Click – 16-24 (0-1) – 16 pts
11. Strickly Cash – 15-25 (0-2) – 15 pts
12. Miss Money – 8-12 (0-1) – 8 pts
12. The Veteran – 8-12 (0-1) – 8 pts
14. LFK – 6-12 (no lock ) 6 pts
14. Special G – 6-14 (0-1) – 6 pts

The Professor in 2012 Pick 'Em Corner
Overall record: 25-15
Statistically-Proven Locks: 1-1
Games involving Big Ten teams: 16-8
Games not involving Big Ten teams: 9-7
Minnesota games: 1-1
Schadenfreude Games (Wisconsin, Iowa, Notre Dame): 5-1
Service Academy Games: 1-2
Does Anybody Outside the Locales of the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Games: 1-1
Roll Tide Turkey Games: 1-0

No comments: