Pick 'Em Corner - The Professor's Week 2 Smart Money Picks
Class is back in session, kids. If
you didn't pay attention last week, The Professor's panel-leading 14-6 record
to open the Pick 'Em Corner season certainly will.
Sit up straight,
sharpen your pencils and enjoy the lecture, for these are The Professor's Smart
Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.
MINNESOTA -20 New Hampshire
Maybe it’s just The Professor drinking the Jerry Kill-Aid, but I think this will be the first blowout in Jer’s tenure … in favor of the Gophers.
Maybe it’s just The Professor drinking the Jerry Kill-Aid, but I think this will be the first blowout in Jer’s tenure … in favor of the Gophers.
OHIO STATE – 18 UCF
They’re still the Buckeyes. And UCF hired The Host’s
replacement. No one replaces The Host. No one.
VIRGINIA -10 Penn State
I called for the
upset of the Nits this week and I’m calling for the Fighting Keisers to rebound
this week. Does that mean I’m picking them to win? No, I’m not. They lose by 9.
Sorry, Cornerman/Foreman’s Forecasts, your misery is only just beginning. Good
thing you both live in Minnesota where misery is our middle name.
Indiana -14 UMASS
It’s The Does Anybody Outside the Locales of
the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Game, brought to you by
RO*TEL! Indiana will
win this game, but expecting the woebegone (look it up!) Hoosiers to be>t any
team by 2 TDs, especially on the road, is asking far too much.
NOTRE DAME – 14 Purdue
Notre Dame isn’t as good as they think they are after
beating Navy (Go Army!) and Purdue isn’t as bad as people think (if people even
think about Purdue, that is).
MICHIGAN -21 Air Force
It’s the first
of two The Professor's Service Academy Game of the Week (SAGoW), brought to you
by Armed Forces Network, so you know who I’m going with.
Michigan State -21.5 CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Sparty is a lot
better than they showed last week and Central Michigan is Central Michigan.
IOWA -5 Iowa State
The rivalry game
factor rears its ugly head in this one. Also, who hates Iowa? The Professor
hates Iowa. Also, my dad, aka The Professor Emeritus, is an Iowa State alum. Go
Cyclones! Also, Herky is a jerky.
Wisconsin -8 OREGON STATE
It’s the
Professor’s Schadenfreude Game of the Week, presented by Gasthof Zur
Gemutlichkeit. Hate you, Bucky.
Nebraska -5.5 UCLA
I can’t, for the
life of me, figure this one out. This has trap written all over it, so buyer
beware.
Vanderbilt -3.5 NORTHWESTERN
Vandy gave
everything South Carolina could handle and nearly pulled out a big upset.
Northwestern eked out a win over Syracuse. South Carolina
>>>>>>> Syracuse.
ARIZONA STATE -3 Illinois
With QB Nathan
Scheelhaase’s injury a concern, Tim Brewster 2.0 (Tim Beckman) doesn’t have
enough to pull the upset in the desert.
KANSAS STATE -7 Miami
Convicts >
Cats. What? It worked for me last week.
TEXAS A&M -2
Florida
Welcome to the
SEC, Aggies.
USC – 26 Syracuse (East Rutherford,
N.J.)
DO YOU HEAR THAT
SOUND? EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK!
EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! It's The Professor's Statistically-Proven Lock
of the Week, brought to you by National American University!
OREGON -34.5 Fresno State
Up 56-19 with a 15
seconds to go, Fresno State kicks a meaningless FG to cover.
LSU -23.5 Washington
I like teams
that have dogs as mascots, thus this and the previous pick
Georgia -1.5 MISSOURI
I like teams
that have dogs as mascots, thus this and the previous two picks
Oklahoma State -10.5 ARIZONA
The Cowboys are
really good. The Cats are not. That’s all the analysis I’ve got here.
SAN DIEGO STATE
-6 Army
It’s the first
of two The Professor's Service Academy Game of the Week (SAGoW), brought to you
by Armed Forces Network, so you know who I’m going with. But why? Why does The
Professor always pick Army, Air Force and Navy? Putting aside from the fact
that I’m a sucker for a man in uniform, The Professor has a strong family
history with the service academies. Two of my uncles went to West Point at the
height of the Vietnam War – with one of them in the Class of 1966, immortalized
in the book “The Long Gray Line.” They both saw some relatively heavy action in
Vietnam with one or both of them serving as Rangers. The Professor was brought
up learning some of the material that plebes (freshman) are required to
memorize. Want proof? Ask me, “How’s the cow?” Overall, The Professor
just has a ridiculous amount of respect for the young men and women who voluntarily
sign up to attend a school with rigorous schedule of academics, athletics and
military education, not to mention the commitment of serving seven years in the
military following graduation. And that’s why I will ALWAYS cheer for the
service academies. Unless Army is playing Navy. Then it’s Go Army, Beat Navy!
Thus concludes
The Professor's Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.


No comments:
Post a Comment