Friday, October 5, 2012

Pick 'Em Corner - The Professor's Week 6 Smart Money Picks




Before we get to the predictions of Pick ‘Em Corner’s leading prognosticator (see standings below), The Professor would like to congratulate his sister, Miss Money, on an historic accomplishment in last week’s picks. Miss Money set a record for the worst one-week record in the history of Pick ‘Em Corner with a 2-19 mark. Remember, picking games is a 50-50 proposition.  I don’t think anyone on the panel could match that record if they tried. It’s almost like she knows nothing about college football.

Moving on, Steve Stellar’s reign of terror atop the Pick ‘Em Corner standings has finally come to an end. Rightfully installed in the No. 1 spot is yours truly. Sit up straight, sharpen your pencils and enjoy the lecture, for these are The Professor's Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.

Michigan State -15 INDIANA
Last week, I said that Sparty was finally going to bust loose and prove that they are the class of the B1G in 2012. They didn't. BUT that was against Ohio State. This week, they get the Hoosiers, a team that has allowed 40+ points in each of the last two weeks. I've been burned by MSU several times this season. It's time for that trend to change.

PENN STATE -2.5 Northwestern
If this was in Evanston, I’d take the Cats, but it’s not, so I’m not.

WISCONSIN -14 Illinois
If it wasn’t for my contractual Schadenfreude obligations, there’s no way I would be taking the Illini in this one. They lost by 28 to Penn State at home last week, for crying out loud. Still, my hatred for Bucky outweighs my thinking that Wisco gets it together this week and routs Chief Illiniwek.

Michigan -3 PURDUE
I’m not quite ready to buy the Boiler Up hype yet. Win this game, Purdue, and I’m in.

OHIO STATE -3 Nebraska
Don’t be fooled by Ohio State’s gaudy record and ranking. This is a team that has won despite the efforts of itself. Unlike Sparty, Nebraska actually has an offense that can move the ball. I’m not sure the Huskers will win, but this one stays close.

AIR FORCE -7.5 Navy
It’s a Double Down version of The Professor's Service Academy Game of the Week (SAGoW), brought to you by Armed Forces Network! Navy is bad. 12-0 loss to San Jose State bad. Air Force is slightly less bad. Near upset of Michigan, followed by an inexcusable loss at UNLV. And that’s why I’m taking Air Force.

KANSAS STATE -24 Kansas
I’d lock this one in, but it’s a rivalry game.

STANFORD -9 Arizona
The Cardinal has to bounce back this week after that hiccup last week. Meanwhile, Arizona is in full panic mode after two losses to the state of Oregon, and four straight weeks of games against ranked opponents looming.

CLEMSON -10.5 Georgia Tech
I’m done taking the triple option attack until they prove I should do otherwise.

LSU -2.5 FLORIDA
If the Fighting Gellers can hang around with LSU long enough – on the road! – to make things interesting, why can’t the Gators do the same at home?

TCU -10 IOWA STATE
This one is dedicated to MADD (for TCU QB Casey Pachall’s DWI) and my dad (for Iowa State being his alma mater). Go Cyclones!

Oklahoma -5.5 TEXAS TECH
The Sooners have had an extra week to prepare for Swing Your Sword. That’s good for a win by a TD or better.

Boise State -10 SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
The Boise State equipment truck obliterated a cow en route to Southern Mississippi. That must be an omen.

OREGON STATE -15.5 Washington State
The Professor is a Beaver Believer. Also, Wazzu lost to Colorado. Isn’t that enough?

TEXAS -7 West Virginia
DO YOU HEAR THAT SOUND? EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR-PLUNK! It's The Professor's Statistically-Proven Lock of the Week, brought to you by National American University! The Geno Smith Heisman Campaign takes a huge step in this one. Also, West F***ing Virginia.

SOUTH CAROLINA Pick’em Georgia
I’ll take the home field advantage angle in this one.

NOTRE DAME -12.5 Miami (Fla.) (Chicago, Ill.)
It’s a game between two programs I can’t stand. I love picking against Notre Dame, so that’s reason #1 why I’m taking the Canes. But I also got on the Al Golden bandwagon last week and was rewarded.

Florida State -14.5 NC STATE
Ohhhhh, oh, oh-oh-oh! Ohhhhhh, oh, oh-oh-oh! Ohhhhh, oh, oh-ho-ho!

OREGON -24 Washington
The Quack Attack keeps it rolling on their quest to get embarrassed by Alabama in the National Championship Game. Yes, I’m recycling bits from past weeks.

RUTGERS -7.5 UConn
It’s The Does Anybody Outside the Locales of the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Game, brought to you by RO*TEL! [Analysis not provided]
And with that East Coast Bias-themed thud … thus concludes The Professor's Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.


2012 Pick ‘Em Corner Standings (locks in parentheses)
1. The Professor – 61-40 (3-2) – 67 pts
2. Steve Stellar – 57-44 (4-1) – 65 pts
3. Lockrem’s Locks – 54-46 (4-1) - 62 pts
4. The Cornerman – 54-47 (3-2) – 60 pts
4. The Host – 56-45 (2-3) – 60 pts
6. Jeff Leach – 54-45 (1-3) – 56 pts
7. KCKCK – 51-50 (2-3) – 55 pts
8. Money Traen – 48-52 (2-3) – 52 pts
8. C-Noth – 48-53 (2-3) – 52 pts
10. Wick to Click – 46-55 (2-2) – 50 pts
11. Strickly Cash – 41-60 (0-5) – 41 pts
12. The Veteran – 40-41 (0-4) – 40 pts
12. Special G – 36-45 (2-2) – 40 pts
14. Miss Money –31-50 (1-2) – 33 pts
15. LFK – 6-12 (no lock ) 6 pts

The Professor in 2012 Pick 'Em Corner
Overall record: 61-40 (.604)
Statistically-Proven Locks: 3-2 (.600)
Games involving Big Ten teams: 27-15 (.643)
Games not involving Big Ten teams: 34-25 (.576)
Minnesota games: 2-3 (.400)
Schadenfreude Games (Wisconsin, Iowa, Notre Dame): 9-5 (.643)
Service Academy Games: 2-5 (.286)
Does Anybody Outside the Locales of the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Games: 3-2 (.600)
Roll Tide Turkey Games: 2-2 (.500)

No comments: