Friday, November 20, 2009

Pick 'Em Corner - The Professor's Week 9 Smart Money Picks

The Professor would like to apologize to Pick 'Em Corner panelists and fans - and especially The Professor's Pupils - for the absence of his full analyses in the last few weeks. The Professor just doesn't have the time to speak with his multitude of contacts within the college football world. Why? Well, The Professor is wanted. The Professor is needed. With the success of the Smart Money Picks again this season, The Professor has been in great demand on the lecture circuit, especially in the quaint towns of Atlantic City, Reno and Las Vegas.

Given the current economic climate, who can blame the betting public on pinning their hopes on a proven gambling expert like The Professor. Sure, some bettors have probably been swayed by Stickly Cash's gaudy overall record, but what does anybody outside of Combined Locks, Wis., really know about this Pick 'Em Corner rookie? It is for that reason that The Professor would like to invite all of this week's Pick 'Em Corner viewers to attend a free lecture by The Professor tonight at Jackpot Junction in Morton, Minn.

Can't make it? Well, you're in luck, for these are The Professor's Abridged Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.

Ohio State -12 MICHIGAN
It's Hate Week and The Professor is going to pick the team he hates less in this one. OSU arrogance is bad, but the Michigan arrogance coupled with a jackass for a coach and an overall annoying athletic program is enough for me.

IOWA -9.5 Minnesota
Last week, The Professor got behind the Brew Crew in the interests of unintentional comedy. Then, The Professor attended that horrendous game at TCF Bank Stadium. It is painfully obvious to me now that the Gopher football program has turned from persistently mediocre with a couple of big wins under Glen Mason, to two and a half seasons of top-notch unintentional comedy under Timmy B, to the complete and total farce that passes as Brewster's program today. I don't care if Ferentz trots out The Host's mom to play QB this weekend, the Hawkeyes will roll. In fact...you hear that sound? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr-plunk! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr-plunk! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr-plunk! It's The Professor's Statistically-Proven Lock of the Week, brought to you by National American University!

MIAMI (FL) -19.5 Duke
Last week, The Professor said, "Any time at Pick 'Em Corner that you have a chance to take Steve Stellar's favorite club (sorry, Towson), you do it." I'm ignoring that advice this week and I don't know why. How's that for instilling confidence in the betting public?

ALABAMA -37.5 UT-Chatanooga
The Professor hates big spreads. The Tide will roll is this one, but the Mocs aren't the pushover that they seem. Look at this game as Bama's chance to get Ingram some early yards for his Heisman hopes, but will sit the back in the second half with the game in hand. When that happend, the Mocs will score just enough points to cover.

FLORIDA -44.5 Florida International
Kudos to Alabama and Florida for scheduling these quality opponents this late in the season. Sheesh. I'm not taking the Gators, partly for that reason, partly for the large spread and partly because they don't score.

Oklahoma -6.5 TEXAS TECH
Oklahoma is 1-4 this season outside the state of Oklahoma and they're a 6.5 point favorite in this tilt. Something doesn't add up. Take the Raiders.

tcu -31.5 WYOMING
As mentioned above, The Professor hates big spreads. But this game is a different story from the Alabama and Florida games. While the Tide and Gators are just biding their time until they meet in the SEC title game, TCU must do anything and everything it can to be a BCS Bowl team. That means blowing out the lowly Cowboys.

NOTRE DAME -6 uconn
The Professor has picked the Irish twice this season. What happened both of those times? He lost. Lesson learned.

BYU -10.5 air force
Off we go, into the wild blue yonder!

Penn State -3.5 MICHIGAN STATE
This one is a conundrum for The Professor. I'm 4-2 when picking MSU and 2-0 when picking Sparty's opponent. On the other hand, I'm 3-2 when picking PSU and 1-2 when picking the Nittany Keiser's opponent. That small difference is just enough to make me go with Cornerman's Crew in this one.

Wisconsin -7 NORTHWESTERN
Damn this one hurts to pick, but seven points is just too few for me to go with my heart and take the Wildcats. You bump that spread up to 14 or so, and I'll gladly switch my pick to NU. If I was allowed a second lock, this would be it. Wow, Iowa and Wisconsin as my locks. I'm so ashamed of myself.

Purdue -3.5 INDIANA
The Professor is 5-2 this season when picking the Hoosiers and 1-2-1 when picking the Boilers. Need I explain my pick more?

STANFORD -7.5 california
I'm done picking against the Cardinal. Plus, the Stanford Tree is so much more entertaining than the Oski, which seems perpetually stuck in the 1950s. If it sounds like I'm repeatiny myself a lot from last week to this week, it's because I am. Plus, I have to prepare for my lecture.

TEXAS -27.5 kansas
It's The Host's Does Anybody Outside the Locales of the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Game.

Oregon -6 ARIZONA
This video made this pick an easy one.

Thus concludes The Professor's Abridged Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.

No comments: