Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pick 'Em Corner - The Professor's Week 11 Smart Money Picks

The Professor should know better than to trust anyone else with his Smart Money Picks, especially in a week all but devoid games involving the Big Ten. Instead, The Professor decided to give thanks to his loyal assistant, The TA, by giving said assistant some input into last week's picks. A 7-13 record ensued. The TA has been summarily dismissed.

This week, it's nothing but The Professor, for bettor (pun intended) or for worse. So sit up straight, sharpen your pencils and enjoy the lecture, for these are The Professor's Smart Money Picks, brought to you by the City of Chanhassen.

OREGON -9.5 Oregon State
Now I know Oregon State has been a pleasant surprise and, like you, I'm just glad we won't have to see USC in the Rose Bowl again this season. But need I remind you what the Quack Attack did to the hated Beavers last season? A 65-38 drubbing, that's what. Various experts around the country are calling for a Beaver upset (insert Tiger Woods joke here), indicating that the OSU defense should be able slow down the potent Oregon offense. I, for one, ain't buying the hype. The Ducks will score points in bunches and the Beaver offense just isn't explosive enough to keep up.

CENTRAL MICH. -10.5 Ohio (MAC CHAMPIONSHIP)
The Professor knows absolutely nothing about Ohio aside from their respected sports management school and their shocking 2000 win over the Goof Troop. Do the Bobcats still run the quirky offense that befuddled Glen Mason and Friends at the Metrodome? Anyone? It really doesn't matter. The Chippewas (that's not hostile nor abusive, per the NCAA) have Dan LeFevour and an offense that has scored 30 or more points seven times this season. Quirky Bobcat offense or not, LeFevour and Co. will rack up the points all day long.

Houston -1 EAST CAROLINA (CUSA CHAMP)
I know, I know. Defense wins championships. From what I hear, East Carolina is the defensive team, while Houston is the offensive team. So, go with the old mantra of defense over offense, right? Wrong. I'd pick the Pirates if their defense was really as strong as all the experts say, but one look at the numbers says otherwise. Houston has the top-ranked offense in all the land. ECU has the 68th-ranked defense. Houston has the top-ranked scoring offense in all the land. ECU has the 31st-ranked scoring defense. Houston has the top-ranked passing offense in all the land. ECU has the 86th-ranked passing defense. Am I missing something here? No, I'm not.

West Virginia -2.5 RUTGERS
The Professor hasn't been high on West Virginia this season, but the past two weeks have changed my mind. The Mountaineers made Cincy nervous two weeks ago, followed by a 19-16 upset of Pitt last week. Rutgers, meanwhile, got trounced by Syracuse two weeks ago. What more needs to be said?

PITT Pick Em Cincinnati
I've been on the Cincinnati bandwagon all season long and I'm not about to jump off now. Rumors persist that Brian Kelly will be the next Notre Dame coach, but methinks that decision has yet to be made. The Brian Kelly Big-Time Coaching Gig Audition hits Pittsburgh this week and it won't be pretty for the 'stache. In fact, do you hear that sound? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr-plunk! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr-plunk! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr-plunk! It's The Professor's Statistically-Proven Lock of the Week, brought to you by National American University!

ILLINOIS -1 Fresno State
The Ron Zook Postulate rears its ugly head one more time this season.

BOISE STATE -47.5 New Mexico State
The Professor got beat by another big spread last week after picking TCU to cover the 43.5 over New Mexico. Will he make the same mistake again this week? Probably.

USC -7 Arizona
It's The Host's Does Anybody Outside the Locales of the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Game, Part I

Florida -4.5 Alabama (SEC CHAMP - NEUTRAL SITE GAME)
The Professor could give a lengthy lecture about the most anticipated game of the season, but instead he'll join the hordes of media who have endlessly tongue bathed Tim Tebow over the years. Tebow is the X factor here and, for me, Bama was less than impressive last week in the Iron Bowl.

California -6.5 WASHINGTON
It's The Host's Does Anybody Outside the Locales of the Two Teams Involved Actually Care About This Game? Game, Part II

CONNECTICUT -7 South Florida
This game should otherwise be known as the Cornerman's Home State University vs. Steve Stellar's Childhood Vacation Destination University Bowl. I'll take the Cornerman's squad for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Texas -14 Nebraska (BIG 12 CHAMP-NEUTRAL SITE GAME)
I don't care how good Nebraska's defense is alleged to be. They play in the Big 12 North - more or less the equivalent of the mediocre portion of the Big Ten (I'm looking at you, Minnesota and your bottom-half bretheren). Plus, the Huskers lost 31-10 to Texas Tech. That same Tech team lost 34-24 to Texas. Hook 'em Horns.

Georgia Tech -1 Clemson (ACC CHAMP - NEUTRAL SITE GAME)
Talk about an anti-climactic conference title game. Both of these squads were embarrassed last week. Looking ahead to this game or not, Clemson looked much worse against South Carolina than Georgia Tech did against Georgia (even if that game was at home). Plus, The Host loves singing that Ramblin' Wreck song.

Wisconsin -11.5 HAWAII
The Professor loves wrapping up the week with a feel good pick.

Thus concludes The Professor's Smart Money Picks, brought to you by The City of Chanhassen.

1 comment: